When taking a puppy to your home, it is important to understand the full responsibility of a new family member. You strictly need a competent approach for raising your obedient and loyal friend.
And if you spend most of the time at work and do not have the opportunity to monitor the life of the pet, you will have to spend a lot of time and energy training the puppy to the toilet. And then unpleasant “surprises” in the form of puddles on carpets will not upset.
You can also read: HOW TO INCREASE THE APPETITE OF A DOG?
How to make a place for your dog’s toilet?
There are several ways to arrange a place for a toilet. It can be a regular newspaper or a disposable diaper. They are laid in a special tray, the sides of which protect against leakage.
In the process of training a puppy from the house, you will temporarily have to remove all floor coverings. It will be difficult to get rid of the smell and wash them, as dirt and unpleasant odor are very strongly retained in the fibers.
Before placing the tray, watch your pet. Usually the animal chooses a place, focusing on natural instincts. The location of the tray is better not to change, so the puppy will quickly get used to a specific place for doing toilet things.
You can also read: PROTECTING YOUR PET FROM EXTERNAL PARASITES
A home toilet will be appropriate in cases where you do not have the opportunity to walk the puppy regularly on the street. But nevertheless, the best option to rid yourself of unpleasant odors and accustom your dog to discipline is to perform “toilet” cases on the street while walking.
When to start teaching your dog?
Of course, all the owners want the puppy to go to the toilet in the right place from the first day, and even better ask outside. But in practice, the process of learning requires a lot of patience and strength. As soon as the puppy has crossed the threshold of a new home, it is necessary to start training, otherwise it will be doubly difficult later.
Take a look at the behavior of the baby. While he will sniff around and look for a place for the toilet, be careful especially for the dark corners that the dog liked.
Make sure that all trays in the house (and there may be several) are clean, otherwise the puppy will find a more suitable place.
How to teach your dog for going outside?
The frequency of dog walking depends not only on the breed, but also on the way your pet lives. If your dog belongs to small decorative breeds, then the organization of a toilet at home is quite appropriate. Too active dogs cannot stay in the apartment for a long time, but like to frolic on the street.
You can also read: HOW TO CHOOSE PET FOOD? 5 FOOD PURCHASING TIPS
Where to start toilet training on the street?
- The first exit to the street must be carried out under special supervision and after quarantine measures (in the case of recent vaccinations).
- Before the age of six months, it is necessary to take the puppy out to the street up to 5 times a day. This will help to quickly learn how to cope with the need for natural conditions.
- Better to walk after sleeping and eating. So that the dog understands that he is doing everything right after the toilet, praise her and treat him to a treat.
- If you went outside for training, wait until the dog goes to the toilet, and then start the lesson.
- Choose the right words so that the dog understands what you expect from it and then the toilet will be reflexive.
- In the process of accustoming to a street toilet, do not remove the trays and diapers, until you make sure that the dog understands where to relieve the need.
If you do everything right, but there is no result, and the animal leaves puddles in the wrong place, perhaps the puppy’s psyche has not yet formed enough and still needs time. Also, the cause of abnormal behavior can be the stress that animals often experience due to penalties for misconduct or aggression.